Details: Amazon.com I love bargains, so I was eager to try out Celestron's new Powerseeker 114 Newtonian reflector telescope. With its 4.5-inch mirror, Celestron's Powerseeker 114 gathers three times more starlight than popular 60mm refractors. The Powerseeker package includes two eyepieces (K20 and SR4), a plastic 3x barlow, and a lightweight equatorial mount. Optically, the Powerseeker 114 holds its own when compared with my Celestron Firstscope 114EQ. Using the K20 eyepiece included as standard equipment, about 45x magnification, it's easy to see the Andromeda Galaxy and its smaller satellite galaxy M32. When compared to 60mm refractors, the Powerseeker 114 brings out much more detail in the Orion Nebula, reveals many more stars in Perseus' Double Cluster and even brings out a few individual stars in globular clusters like M13. Saturn looks quite small at 45x with the K20 eyepiece, but using my own 7.5mm eyepiece (120x) I can easily detect the shadow cast by the planet on the rings, and even glimpse the ring's Cassini Division. When the mirrors are properly lined up or "collimated," the images are reasonably sharp up to magnifications of 225x. I find a collimation tool helps get this fine tuning just right. As good as the optics are, however, the effect of cost-cutting shows up in the mechanical components. The focuser is plastic, the finder scope is plastic, the rings that attach the telescope to the tripod are plastic. Even when the tripod legs are clamped at their shortest setting, the telescope wobbles when I try to focus at higher magnifications. Celestron's instruction manual correctly recommends that most viewing be done in the range of 40x to 130x. So what about that 675x magnification proclaimed on the box? I'd say it's not worth the trouble. Overall, the Celestron Powerseeker 114 is a budget priced telescope with good optical performance, especially when using the low power K20 eyepiece. If you're willing to spend a little more money, either Orion's SkyQuest XT4.5 or Celestron's Firstscope 114EQ will give you a sturdier mount, an improved finder scope, and better eyepieces. Also, for about the price of the Powerseeker 114, I like the dependable refractor design of Celestron's Firstscope 70EQ. --Jeff PhillipsPros:Low cost Good optics Serviceable K20 eyepiece Cons:Wobbly mount Difficult to collimate Plastic finder and focuser Product Description Whether you’re an amateur astronomer or becoming more comfortable with using a telescope, you’ll love the technology and user-friendly features packed into Celestron’s PowerSeeker Newtonian Reflector telescope. The Celestron PowerSeeker 114EQ is a powerful yet easy-to-use telescope. Our PowerSeeker Series telescopes for astronomy beginners have been designed with a combination of value, quality, power, and user-friendly features. They are built to enhance the experience for beginners but are also exceptional for mid-level experienced astronomers. This 114EQ telescope features powerful magnification and easy-to-use controls that allow users to obtain crisp views of the Moon, the rings of Saturn, and Jupiter’s Galilean moons. The telescope’s sturdy and durable German Equatorial mount and slow-motion rod deliver smooth and accurate pointing. Move the slow-motion altitude rod in an up/down fashion to pinpoint and track your object. The 3x Barlow lens is added to triple the magnification power of the included 20mm and 4mm eyepieces. We’ve included an accessory tray to store accessories conveniently and a free download of our BONUS Starry Night Basic Edition astronomy software with information on 36,000 celestial objects, printable sky maps, and more. The software can be used on your Mac, PC or laptop. It’s the best way to learn about the night sky and plan your next observing session. Additional accessories include a tripod. You can purchase this Celestron telescope with confidence from the world’s #1 telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also rece
- PERFECT BEGINNERS TELESCOPE: The Celestron PowerSeeker 114EQ is an easy-to-use and powerful telescope. The PowerSeeker series is designed to give the first-time telescope user the perfect combination of quality, value, features, and power.
- MANUAL GERMAN EQUATORIAL MOUNT: Navigate the sky with our Newtonian Reflector telescope. It features a German Equatorial mount with a slow-motion altitude rod for smooth and accurate pointing. Adjust rod to desired position, then easily secure by tightening cross knob.
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE: This telescope for adults and kids to be used together is compact, lightweight, and portable. Take the telescope to your favorite campsite or dark sky observing site, or simply the backyard.
- MULTIPLE ACCESSORIES: The Celestron PowerSeeker 114EQ Telescope features 2 eyepieces (20mm and 4mm), finderscope, plus a 3x Barlow lens to triple the power of each. Accessories also include a FREE download of one of the top consumer rated astronomy software programs.
- UNBEATABLE WARRANTY AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Buy with confidence from the world’s no.1 telescope brand, based in California since 1960. You’ll also receive a 2-year warranty and unlimited access to technical support from our team of US-based experts.